Friday, February 4, 2011

Themes

Themes in comicbooks are always hard to talk about without sounding like either a twat or a smug git, but I think it's important to acknowledge them when they're there.

JT Neslo is a book series where there are the obvious themes- youth, age, cycles, ages of man, god vs man, self discovery - but hopefully some of the more subtle themes I put in and weave with are also recognisable. One of the ones I am happiest with crept in entirely on its own with no intentional effort on my part (to begin with), namely nature versus "civilisation". I'm definitely with R.E. Howard when it comes to civilisation, but I love the interplay of natural world and artificial world constructs on the art page- I like the breaking of borders, the violation of comicbook layout rules and so on.

See also:
Conan vs Bambi
StumbleUpon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...