Friday, July 20, 2012

Life & Other Crises

Life & Other Crises

 So this morning I am trying to get ready, as well as get my three kids fed, dressed, kissed and to school on time, when an ad for Sixty Minutes blasts on my TV.

"These mothers think you have it all wrong," it says, "and they have the scientific evidence to prove it."

I'm not going to provide a link to the Sixty Minutes site. I'm not going to watch Sixty Minutes. I'm really hoping you don't watch it either. Suffice it to say that the segment is about attachment parenting, and mothers who choose to breastfeed indefinitely. It's supposed to make us angry. It's supposed to pit us mothers against each other.

And I have had a gutful of it.

The media is forever trying to create Mummy Wars, with Good Mothers on one side and Bad Mothers on the other side. And you know what? It's BULLSHIT. Yes, there are bad mothers - mothers who physically or psychologically or sexually abuse their kids. Mothers who neglect their kids, who inject them with drugs, who leave them festering in their own waste for days at a time.
StumbleUpon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...