Thursday, October 11, 2012

As Dave Sim says correctly, the opposite of "feminist" is NOT "misogynist".

It's artful but poisonous: if you aren't a feminist you're a misogynist. It's "heads I win, tails you lose", isn't it? Pointing out structural flaws in feminism -- which even many feminists are starting to do -- doesn't mean you hate women, it means there are, at least potentially, structural flaws to feminism. As in: this is insupportable in the long term. I wrote about the flaws twenty years ago and ten years ago and we seem to have gotten to where I said we were going. The U.S. is at the end of five consecutive years of large drops in the replacement birth rate. Pointing that out and pointing out that it's the result of deciding ALL woman have to be out in the workforce -- with a small minority NOT out in the workforce and having babies and hand-rearing them -- that doesn't mean I hate women. It means there's been five consecutive years of large drops in the replacement birth rate. We're starting to disappear, starting with our economy. To me, RATIONALLY, we, as a society need to discuss what percentage of women can be out in the workforce before we begin committing societal suicide -- "disappearing up our own inevitability" as George says in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOLF. 50% of the world's population is responsible for 100% of the world's births, so there's a specific percentage we can't exceed, it seems to me, however we decide WHO works and has one baby at 35 and WHO stays home and has five babies between age 20 and 35. For me, the survival and success of our society supersedes whatever might be done to me -- and has been done to me -- for wanting to have an intelligent discussion about central problems. If I have to sacrifice my own life to keep alive that possibility well, as it says in the Koran, "some serve God in but a single point." I suspect this might be my single point.

-Dave Sim
StumbleUpon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...