Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Divine Invasion, by Philip K. Dick at American Buddha Online Library

The Divine Invasion, by Philip K. Dick at American Buddha Online Library

Again pressing the switch of the external bullhorn, Herb Asher yelled after the retreating figure, 

"You think James Joyce was crazy, is that what you think? Okay; then explain to me how come he mentions 'talktapes' which means audio tapes in a book he wrote starting in 1922 and which he completed in 1939, before there were tape recorders! You call that crazy? He also has them sitting around a TV set -- in a book started four years after World War I. I think Joyce was a --" 

The autochthon had disappeared over a ridge. Asher released the switch on the external bullhorn. 

It's impossible that James Joyce could have mentioned "talk-tapes" in his writing, Asher thought. Someday I'm going to get my article published; I'm going to prove that Finnegans Wake is an information pool based on computer memory systems that didn't exist until a century after James Joyce's era; that Joyce was plugged into a cosmic consciousness from which he derived the inspiration for his entire corpus of work. I'll be famous forever.
StumbleUpon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...