Monday, January 6, 2014

The Blackboard » Trapped in Ice: CC story of 2013.

The Blackboard » Trapped in Ice: CC story of 2013.

My favorite bit is when he says his nickname will probably become “The Penguin”.
I welcome anyone who provides links to useful stories giving us details on:
  1. How this was funded. Was it 100% pre-funded, or are there going to be any remaining liabilities?
  2. Whether there might be any legal liabilities on the part of the organizers, particularly with regard to the eco-tourists. Hey. I’m American. I can’t help but think if this was an American expedition at least some of the eco-tourists would be trying to figure out if they could sue the organizers. Although, admittedly, each will have plenty of interesting stories to tell during upcoming cocktail parties and fundraisers or such like.
  3. Who paid for the rescue? Did the various ice breakers just head out for free? Or is someone going to pay the Russian, Chinese & etc. for their efforts? (Looks like the SnowDragon itself may end up needing rescue?!. The article I linked tells us
    The cost of the rescue would be carried by the owners of the ships and their insurers, in accordance with international conventions on sea rescues, Young said.
    So, does this mean whoever owns the ship Turney rented? )
  4. How this trip affected real research missions. Somewhere I read that some other Antarctic ice researchers were deprived of access to their equipment which remained on board the Aurora Australis when it was sent out on the higher priority live saving mission.
I’m sure these links are all over the place, but I haven’t had time to follow the story as much as I might have. So, share!
StumbleUpon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...